The Cardio Room and Its Instruments of Torture

Negative Feedback

When it's too dark or too rainy to ride, or when I want to take the kids to swim but need to get a workout, I head to the YMCA and the "Cardio Room". They have exercise cycles such as this It simulates riding a real bicycle quite well. As with most exercise machines, you can pick all sorts of programs simulating hills or random terrain. But by fair the most diabolical program is the "Dynamic Heart Rate Control" one. By grabbing the handlebars, the machine measures your heart rate. And, if it decides you aren't working hard enough, the screen scrolls this message: "Heart rate is too low. Increasing resistance." I hate that message! I got it a lot last week, and the bike increased the resistance so much I could hardly pedal. These machines have a mind of their own, and seem kind of sadistic.

No comments: