Halfway There (the Easy Half)

On Saturday we rode from Santa Teresa High in San Jose
to Gilroy (nee Bonfante) Gardens. I can't believe I did it! The day started out chilly and windy, so I slipped on arm and knee warmers and our group headed out in a tight paceline. That way, only one of us had to fight the full wind at a time. With head down and working well as a team, in about an hour and a half we popped out on Highway 152, which runs between Gilroy and Watsonville. Whoa! I was surprised to ride right in front of "Gilroy Gardens". It's kind of scary to be riding a bike along the highway, especially when you have to ride two abreast to rotate the leader in your group. You have to look for a reasonably wide road shoulder, and hope that some crazy distracted driver doesn't encounter the group.

Not surprisingly, after fighting the wind for two hours, the ride back home was much easier. Santa Teresa Boulevard goes all the way from San Jose to Gilroy! That's one long road. I was feeling pretty studly as I lead the group up the final hill to Blossom Valley in South San Jose. I was riding with a high cadence and a good speed. Wow, I'm strong! (I thought.) It was only when I had to stop and go back for our teammate who had a flat tire that I realized we'd been riding with a strong tailwind. Tailwinds, like slight downhills, make everyone feel studly. :-)

That was it: 51+ miles in a little over three hours. It didn't feel too bad, but it was definitely challenging. It's intimidating to think of riding twice this distance, but as I learned from the marathon training program, I have faith in TNT.

No comments: