A Runner with True Grit

Even though I'm a cyclist now, I still run Thursday mornings at 6am with my old Team in Training run team crowd. Last Thursday was a "dark and stormy" morning, and as I drove to Campbell Park I was secretly hoping the run would be called off and I could go to the nice, warm YMCA to work out.

But, waiting for me in the dark and empty parking lot was good old Steve, my running partner of five years. He was the only one to come out in those conditions. I greeted him with a friendly "I didn't think you were so stupid as to come out on a morning like this". We didn't stand around long as standing in the rain is even dumber than running in the rain, so we took off into the darkness.

What followed was a great one-hour run in the steady rain. It was filled with great conversation about anything and everything -- music, news, parents, kids, ... I felt great the rest of the day.

Even though I'm a cyclist, I have to respect runners like Steve. We cancelled a bike ride because the roads were wet (not raining), and yet runners don't let the elements stop them. True grit.

No comments: