Must Control Testosterone

Last Saturday, we rode our 12-mile Time Trial course again. Unlike the previous week's wet conditions, the weather was awesome this time! Spring is here?

Since I was familiar with the course and the conditions were perfect, I decided to push things a bit. It didn't help my restraint to be surrounded by so much spandex and carbon fiber! I know this will come as a shock, but with men, sometimes (adrenaline + testosterone > good sense).

I rode strong throughout the whole course. I'm getting pretty comfortable with my bike now. The finish was a long gradual climb up Alpine Road, finishing in front of the Alpine Inn (that's Zot's to the locals). When I was 100 yards from the finish, within sight of the cheering support crew, striving to finish strong, something went haywire in my leg! It was the most excruciating cramp in my right calf -- I couldn't pedal with that leg at all. Upon further research, I suffered a pulled muscle, or "muscle strain" as it appears in the literature. It must have looked comical, after riding so strong, so slow to almost a crawl and limp across the finish line. But limping is what I did, and then hastily dismounted my bike.

It didn't hurt bad afterwards, but I have a big fat knot in my calf. I had Susan wrap it up with an Ace bandage so I felt like a real jock. The compression of the bandage was amazingly helpful. Today, things feel pretty OK, so I'll be back on my bike for a test ride soon.

No comments: