Initiation of a Fair-Weather Rider

Last Saturday we had our "time trial" ride. Our coach told us

This ride will determine your ride groups for the season. This is NOT a time trial like they ride in the Tour De France. So leave your skinsuits, aero bars and disc wheels at home. This 12 mile ride has some rollers, a short hill on Sand Hill and a rather long uphill on Alpine.

We were fortunate that it wasn't raining Saturday morning, even though it rained all the rest of the weekend. But, because the roads were very wet, with lots of debris on the roads, our team cancelled the formal ride. How wimpy, I thought! We were allowed to ride the course on our own and submit a time to give the coaches an idea of how fast we ride. I was definitely ready for a ride, so off I went.

The course was familiar from a ride that I rode with my son and his friends last summer. Riding through a wet course was a new experience for me, though. The sound of the tires zipping over the wet roads, and the grit and dirt that gets kicked up all over your bike and yourself made me feel like a real biker! However, this area is real cycling country, with lots of elite cyclists riding these roads. So, when I was repeatedly passed like I was standing still, it put me back in my place.

It was a successful ride -- I put my miles in, and learned more about my bike and riding in less than fair conditions.

Allez!

No comments: